This is a site dedicated to the happenings of Declan, Liam & Teah O'Neal (and sometimes Chris & Amy).

We will take you on a journey of their lives and the adventures they pursue.

Monday, June 02, 2008

This weekend was Declan & Liam's end of the season hockey party and with me being team mom for both teams; I spent the week getting ready for the big event. Thankfully, we combined the parties so I only had to worry about one party.

I made player award certificates for each player (24 total) and then printed out cards for the coaches to read that had something about each player. The coaches provided me with the award for each player (MVP, Most Improved, etc.). Declan was "Mr. Hat Trick". He was the only player on his team that would score a hat trick (3 goals in one game) almost every game. It was also mentioned that he is a player that other players can look up to. Liam won the "Unsung Hero Award" - which means that Liam always came through with a necessary goal, amazing defense or just played hard when the game was on the line. It is nice to have two boys that can be counted on by their team and coach. I also made awards for the coaches so they weren't left out!!

On Friday, I went to pick up three of the coaches gifts and there was a mistake on the engraving so the store had to redo them. Thankfully the owner was willing to spend time late Friday night to get them done and then delivered them to the house. How amazing is that?! You don't often see that kind of customer service. I was thankful that he was going to drop them off because I had lots of other things to get done including shopping for food to feed 80 people. Sherri, Teah and I headed up to Costco in search of all the items needed to put together a nacho bar; however, Costco didn't have anything I needed. Okay, they had lemonade mix, cookies and guacamole - but that was it. I was so irritated. Thankfully Sherri has a Sam's Club card and we were off to Sam's Club. I was able to get most of what I needed and figured we would run into Wal-Mart for the other things - things that I didn't want hundreds of (plates, napkins, etc.). We had dinner at Jason's Deli and then it was off to a few restaurants to get gift cards for the coaches. I had 5 coaches to shop for and ended up going to 3 different restaurants. Thankfully they were all close to each other.

After all the shopping it was time to head back home and cook all the meat. While the meat was cooking, I chopped onions & tomatoes and put the peppers & olives in bowls. I was so happy that I had gotten everything done and was well prepared for the party, that is until I realized as I was falling asleep at 2am Saturday morning that I had forgotten to make a very important stop. We have three dads (Chris being one of them) that have helped with the team in various areas. Chris is our encourager and water boy. He stands behind the bench helping with water and making sure the boys & girl are encouraged for their next trip out on the rink. The other two dads have helped coach in previous seasons but due to their work schedule this year were unable to be as involved as they would have liked to been. We still wanted to say thank you for all they had done. I was supposed to stop at the cigar shop and get them all cigars but completely put that out of my mind. So Saturday morning I realized I had nothing to give them. We have a great cigar shop here in town but it didn't open until noon -the party was starting at 11am. I decided that someone would just have to leave the party for a few minutes to grab them. Chris volunteered to go - crazy that he purchased his own gift!! :)

We went to the party host home and got everything ready and the party was a huge success. The kids had a great time swimming and hanging with their teammates. Everyone was gone by 4:30pm and so the host family and us relaxed by the pool for the next couple of hours. Our kids ended up spending 8 hours in the pool and I ended up with a burnt back.

As I have mentioned before, our boys will be heading to ice hockey in the fall so this was their last big event with some of the other players that are sticking with inline hockey. It was kind of sad to think we won't be seeing some of the families in the fall but hopefully we won't lose touch. We have made some great friends on the teams. There are a few players going to ice and hopefully we will all be on the same team - still trying to work that out!!! I took my camera with every intention of taking a ton of pictures but guess what....the camera spent the day in my bag while I ran around and I never took one picture. How horrible is that?!?! :)

After such a busy Friday night & Saturday, we relaxed most of Sunday. Chris, Teah & I got up and went to church. Chris and I help with Kid's Ministry and it was our Sunday to serve. We let the boys sleep and Chris' brother Steve came over to hang with them. We got home and rested the rest of the day. It stormed on & off during the day so it was nice being in the house not worrying about it.

Have a great Monday!!

No comments: